What is Pinterest all about?
In short, Pinterest allows you to pin images on to virtual boards and categorise them by what they represent. Not only can you pin images which you have created, but you can also pin images from the Internet and repin images which other users have uploaded on to the site. Pinterest is one of the newer social media sites, only launching in 2010 and shortly after its launch, the number of users of the site sky rocketed. As of February 2013, Pinterest had 25 million users, meaning the potential audience on this platform is huge.
How can I use it for my business?
When the site initially started, it was used by members of the public to upload photos and pictures they liked, but it has since been adopted by many companies. At first glance, many companies assume that if they provide a service, or only have one product, that Pinterest is not for them. And while Pinterest does lend itself more easily to those who are able to take pictures of products, it should by no means put you off. Although the platform is for pictures, there are some tips below of what you can pin even if you don’t have a physical product.
If you have a product, pin pictures of designs to show what you offer. If you don’t have a product, consider pinning pictures of your office, staff, any events you have attended, infographics relating to your industry or your company.
Who uses Pinterest?
While Pinterest users at the beginning of last year were almost 97% female, there has since been more males joining the site. The majority of users are aged between 25 and 34, with an annual income of £15,000-£50,000.
The top 5 most popular pin categories are:
1. Food & Drink
2. DIY & Crafts
4. Home Decor
5. Hair & Beauty
· Make sure the pictures look as visually appealing as possible to increase the chances of your picture being repinned and therefore seen by more people
· Include your website in the description so that people can go to it from the image
· Infographics, ‘how to’ posts and tall pins are all popular
· Hashtag key words in your description to make sure your image shows up in search results
· Add a price to your pins - this will add them to the ‘gifts’ category. In the description just type the price and this adds a banner to your image
· Verify your website to get a link to it on Pinterest
· Even if you are not on Pinterest, your products might be! Go to pinterest.com/source/yourdomain to see what has already been pinned from your site
This article should give you an overview of Pinterest and some idea of how to start using it if you decide to, but the best way to get an idea of how it works is to head over to pinterest.com and have a browse. See if your competitors are on there and look at what others in your industry are pinning. Look at your potential audience and what sort of images they like to get some inspiration. It is important to state however, that not everyone should be on Pinterest, and it may not be worth your time and effort in creating an account.
By Sarah Laughran